Thursday, September 25, 2008

Emerging Technologies for learning

I enjoyed this article. The concept I find exciting is "collective intelligence". I find that as a group more can be done than individually. I was surprised to see that 70% of students first turn on IM when they get on their computer. I heard a quote that "email is what I use when I want to talk to old people" - something along those lines. I find the two linked. When it's possible to leverage the input of a group the collective intelligence is truly brought into being. What that means for learning and education is a different matter. I think the article was well balanced in that it acknowledged the limitations of tech savvy and maturity. There are still needs for guidance and training and it's important not to mistake knowing how to use the tools for actually having something to say.

No comments: